Interfaces

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999 14:44:52 -0700 (PDT), Bill Huey <billh@mag.ucsd.edu> wrote:

> With the recent announcement that GTK will have the notion of
> Java Interfaces (a form of multipule inheritance) in the next

This is *very* interesting. Where can we see some details about this? (Or
even just a copy of the announcement.)

> development, release only magnifies the replication of the OO
> facilities by "hand" instead of by "compiler".
>
> This just magnifies the mistake that GTK was not built on top of an
> strong OO language like Java, since more and more OO facilities are
> being built by hand.
>
> What's happening here is that GTK is converging on having the same,
> yet inferior capabilities, as a genuine OO language and replicating
> the same OO facilities as an OO language by "hand", which is
> completely ridiculous given the tedious error prone amount of work
> that it takes to maintain the OO layer.

That depends a lot upon how it's done. There's no reason a well defined interface structure shouldn't be implemented in a reasonably automated manner provided it's done carefully with a realistic set of objectives.

What *is* important, without going into the usual C/C++ flame war, is to have a good idea of what the objectives of such a system would be including the system resource issues (speed, memory..).

John