[gtk-list] Re: I want to understand

Ionutz Borcoman <borco@borco-ei.eng.hokudai.ac.jp> wrote,
> Robert_Gasch/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com wrote:
> >
> > 4) Using C++ as the base would make other language bindings more difficult
> > to write (??)
> C++ mangles names in the object code generated, while C not. I have
> understood that this is the reason why bindings to C code is simpler to
> made. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is just a good reason but not the most important one,  others more
important  can be mentioned:
- compilers standards and ANSI compliants
- internal data representation
- memory allocation
- C low levelness that makes bindings less painfull
last but not the least :
C can be bound with other languages and converted in a easier framework,
IMHO the same thing should be much more difficult using C++, like Qt does.
Qt is a good piece of software but not so flexible and easily extensible to
other languages like Gtk+ is (aside licensing matter).
VDK couldn't be without C/Gtk++.

regards

/mario

--