Re: [gtk-list] Re: widechar support

   [ Joe Pfeiffer writes ]
   > phil@bolthole.com writes:
   >    "GTK" is supposed to be a *UNIX* toolkit, not a linux toolkit. So a 'solution'
   >    that involves hacky things in glibc, is not a solution in my opinion.
   >
   > Glibc is a Posix-compliant C library, not a Linux C library.

   last I heard, glibc is a posix-compliant c library, PLUS GNU-isms.

I was under the impression that they are now attempting to follow
standards, rather than add gnu-isms, to the standard libraries.  At
any rate, taking a looking at the docs, they are not claiming full
POSIX compliant -- they also have functions from BSD and SVID (so my
claim that it was only POSIX-compliant was wrong).

   > Presumably, setlocale is posix compliant, so this is not doing a hacky
   > thing in glibc.

   well, it at least exists under solaris.

It turns out the glibc docs claim this function is required by the ISO
C standard.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002