Problems installing GLIB and GTK

I have installed GLIB. And the files are at the right places but I get these
error messages when I trie to install
GTK.

checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.1.12... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found *** If GLIB
was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in *** your path, or set
the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the *** full path to glib-config.
checking for gtk-config... /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for GTK - version >= 1.1.12... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for
the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was installed. In the latter case,
you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
checking for thread-safe xlibs... no

Could someone please help me. I am no expert at Linux so maybe its something
simple but I dont know what.