gtk and debian additional questions

Hi,
thanks for the answers, that really helped me figure out
that my problems depend on a inconsistently
Debian 2.1r2 (slink) gtk, gtkmm and gnome version,
its look little confused, ... however
After I read the Tutorial (  ... I found it :)  ...)
there a explained how to use gtk wiht c++,  ...
should I use gtk directly and wrap it into my C++Classes ?
or is there a strange loose of capabilities, and therefore
should I try to compile gtkmm myself and are there any hints
what I must do ?

thanks again,
cu
  Peter