Re: [gtk-list] RE: "2.5 D" (and 3D) games with GTK?

Jonathan Belson <jon@dookie.demon.co.uk> wrote (as did others):
> > For that matter, what about a 3D renderer? The only flight-simulator for
> > Linux that I know is "acm"...
>
> FlightGear looks quite impressive, but I think it's still in an early stage of
> development.  It uses OpenGL.

I took a look at their WWW page after another guy pointed out its existence.
Looks *very* promising as you say. Graphics quality up there with "Flight
Unlimited" and the latest MS Flight Sim, but with the 6-axis flight model
of "acm".

Odd that they use OpenGL - as far as I know that's proprietary to Silicon
Graphics. There is a library called "Mesa" which is supposed to be a free
clone of OpenGL.

I spent some of the weekend playing "Craft" version 3.5 and getting myself
repetitively totally killed in various silly ways. This program needs a
scrollable viewport (it's set up for a fixed screen resolution somewhat in
excess of 800x600) and maybe a slightly less aggressive computer opponent for
people like me who aren't very good at it!

It would look more visually appealing with 2.5D graphics engine too - my wife
took one look at the screen while I was playing and her main comment was
"very primitive looking". Pity Mr Hua didn't use GTK for his development
work though - I could address my moan about scrolling the viewport myself
had he done so.

--

Steve                                       | Steve's law of House Rewiring:
S.Hosgood@swansea.ac.uk                     | "No matter how many power sockets