[gtk-list] Card games with GTK

Eric Harlow writes:

 > I'm trying to convince a friend to do some Linux development and he
 > asked me about Linux having a free library of playing card images like
 > windoze does (some card.dll or something.)  Does anyone know of one
 > for GTK or Linux?  Or even one that's available for any os?

Gnome currently uses gtkcardimage.so. This library has some problems so
I am going to be rewriting quite a bit of it shortly, adding animated
card backs, better pixmap referencing, etc.

The plan with Aisleriot is to allow multiple decks of cards with
different images held in separate plug-in libraries (probably accessed
using ORBit). Once I have a good structure for the functions in the
gdkcardimage.so library I will turn them into an idl interface and
start inviting the development of new decks of cards.

However, I would strongly recommend looking at using Aisleriot as your
engine for writing card games rather than accessing the library
directly. It currently allows you to write any kind of patience
relatively easily by specifying the rules using scheme (A reasonably
complete example is in gnome-games/Aisleriot/odessa.scm).

Aisleriot will be extending its field of operations in the future to
allow multiplayer games over the internet (still using scheme for
the rules).

Any scheme code for Ailseriot that anyone writes will be gladly
accepted at this mail address (or by Jonathan Blandford at redhat).
Alternatively, you might like to specify the rules of a version of
patience that you want to see implemented and I can try to get it
into scheme for you.

I would much rather have comments on features that Aisleriot lacks
than see someone else starting from scratch with an alternative (o:

Felix Bellaby