Re: gtk+-1.0.5-2 (RPM), gtk+-1.1.1, & gpgp-0.2

Ray Marshall <ray@love.vnet.net> writes:

> I have been trying not to deviate too far from a standard RedHat V5.1
> system, with all of the current errata files applied.
>
> But, I was just trying to build gpgp-0.2 (to go along with the gnupg-0.3.5
> that I just installed).  But, gpgp's configure script says that it requires
> gtk+-1.1.1.  The latest RPM available from the RedHat directories that I
> scanned, is gtk+-1.0.5-2 -- which I have installed.
>
> As an aside:  I have sent Max Valianskiy an Email, asking why gpgp-0.2
> requires a development version of gtk+.
>
> I just checked, and according to RPM, 23 products require both libgdk.so.1
> and libgtk.so.1, provided by the gtk+-1.0.5-2 RPM file.  Most of them are
> actually Gnome packages (no surprise there).  But, they also include among
> others, gimp, control-panel, gtkicq, and replay.
>
> I am concerned that if I upgrade gtk+ manually, there may be some confusion
> among the other products, and future RPM packages.
>
> My primary questions for this list are:
>
>   1) Is there an RPM file for gtk+-1.1.1?

ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/redhat/

>   2) Will I be in serious trouble with the depending packages, if I
>      upgrade from gtk+-1.0.5 to gtk+-1.1.1?

You don't want to upgrade (rpm -U) from 1.0.x to 1.1.x, instead
you want to install (rpm -i) the 1.1.x packages in addition
to the 1.0.5 rpm.

You'll have to remove the gtk+-1.0.5 devel package first with
'rpm -e', since you can't have both development packages
installed at once.

A warning though - once you do this, you will no longer be able
to compile programs like the GIMP-1.0.0 which require GTK+-1.0.x,
though previously compiled executables will continue to work.

Regards,
                                        Owen