Re: [gtk-list] Re: announce: yet another gtk+ C++ wrapper (no caps as Owen suggest)

I thought the bazarre verses the cathedral had more to do with
central control verse random orginization of the net projects.

Therefore, really all are a bazarre in this case!  There is no
central project and anyone is allowed to contribute.   There are
however people like me who would rather see the contributions
directed to getting one project done before starting another.  Gtk--
is close to 1.0 but even then it will still be playing catch up with
gtk 1.1.  If we divide efforts, progress will get slower.  And
as the real competitor is QT, I don't see fragmentation getting us
to far.

On the other hand IFF there is support for the VDK project and
it is clear that Gtk-- has enough support so that it won't starve
then VDK is a good thing as it will draw its own following from QT
seperate from the Gtk-- people.

Again I question the number of customers available.  If
there are two candle shops in the bazarre and only a few customers
one will go out of business.  Further, a huge number of replicated
tallow vats and drying racks tend to get built.  (I will
likely have to rewrite my gtkglarea-- widget for VDK as well
as my examples unless someone wants to do it for me or there
ends up more competition between leaf widgets.)

To prevent this can we try to keep the two reasonably closely tied?
I like the idea of more tools for gtk (and gtk--).  True there
isn't ONE GREAT AND HOLY OBJECT FRAMEWORK, but at least there needs
to be some sharing of ideas so we don't have conflicting name spaces,
meaningless incompatablities, or pointless arguements.

If VDK truly is going to be a higher level then can it be built on top
of Gtk--?  Rather then combining two (which will muddy both by creating a
kitchen sink) lets just create a heirarchy.   So that others widgets can
then be available in the higher frame and people can work at the level
they need.  I like the control Gtk--  provides and wouldn't go higher.
This also solves the potential name space problems and prevents
incompatablities.  (I haven't had time to look over VDK so I don't
know the issues on this one.)

Pure gtk-- is then just above gtk+ (truly power users/mixed c users like me)
Mixed gtk--, gtk+, VDK is available for middle grade (need power, want simple)
Pure VDK (which calls lower level gtk--) is available for those
who want just plain simple things.

--Karl