Re: Gnome/GtkCanvas (was Re: gtk_args_collect & gnome--)

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> writes:

> > I'd really like to see GnomeCanvas renamed to GtkCanvas now,
> > regardless of whether we move it before 1.2, or not, in the belief
> > that we eventually need to move it.
>
> I dislike the name change.  Think of the prefix as the "Foundry" that
> provided the code.
>
> Just like the fonts in X, you dont go changing "Adobe-...-Courier" to
> "X-...-Courier" either.

This is not at all parallel. Of course, it wouldn't make sense
to do the above - all fonts distributed with X would become
X-*-.

But not everything that a Gtk program uses comes from libgtk.The
established convention is that each C library uses a unique short
prefix. The prefix for libgtk is gtk_. Having things in there
beginning with gnome_ (and shouldn't the gamma curve be
sane_gamma_curve, and...) violates the accepted convention, and will
cause all sorts of confusion.

("How how do I easily draw a circle. Use the Canvas widget.
  So I use gtk_canvas_new(). No, it's the GnomeCanvas widget.
  So it's in the Gnome libraries? No, it's in libgtk...")

Regards,
                                        Owen