Debugging and XGrabPointer

I'm having some trouble debugging our Gtk-- application. The problem is
that if you set a breakpoint that is hit in response to some user action
like clicking a menu or selecting an item from a combo box, the pointer
is grabbed so you can't go to your debugger and do anything. DDD at
least detects this so you don't have to switch to another virtual
console and kill the program, but you still can't use the breakpoint.

How do people deal with this? Perhaps it would be useful to have a
standard command line option to globally disable all pointer grabs (and
perhaps one for keyboard grabs too). I realize this would create user
interface problems for some widget behavior, but it may be useful for
debugging.

If there are no better ideas, I'll make this patch myself.

--
Michael Babcock
Jim Henson's Creature Shop - Los Angeles