Re: [gtk-list] memory maintence in gtk

Todd Gureckis <gureckis@well.com> writes:

> Is there a built in way to do this in gtk?  This is a kind of un-informed
> observation, but when i create a dialog, then later gtk_widget_destroy()
> the dialog, the memory size of my application does not shrink when I list
> it in top.

Of course it doesn't, this is probably the most often FAQ of Unix
programming, and has nothing to do with gtk.

When you free memory, it is *not* released to the system. However it
will be reused by the next malloc().

I believe some custom malloc implementations may behave differently,
but this is what happens most of the time.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent