Re: [gtk-list] Error compiling gtk under Irix 6.3

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:51:23 -0500, gtk-list@redhat.com (David J. Topper) wrote:
> So I've installed gcc 2.7.2.2 for Irix ... and have even replaced the
> appropriate ld and such.  But I get the following error which trying to
> compile gtk-1.0.4:
>
> /usr/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix5.3/2.7.2.2/ld -32 -shared -o
> .libs/libglib.so.1.0.4 -soname libglib.so -set_version 1.0.4:1.0
> garray.o gcache.o gerror.o ghash.o glist.o gmem.o gmessages.o gprimes.o
> gslist.o gtimer.o gtree.o gstring.o gscanner.o gutils.o
> collect2: ld returned 4 exit status
> ld: ERROR 48: Cannot access registry file ./so_locations (No locks
> available) - ignored.
> ld: FATAL 51: Can't assign virtual addresses for libglib.so within
> specified range.  Please check your registry file ./so_locations.
> *** Error code 4 (bu21)
>
> When I check ./glib/so_locations I see that it's an empty file.
>
> Anyone have some ideas?  I'd really like to compile gtk under Irix so I
> can do all sorts of cross compiling between Linux and Irix.

You're trying to use a gcc version that was built for IRIX 5.3 on an IRIX
6.3 machine. The compiler will work for normal binaries, but it can't make
shared libraries. This is a known problem and it is due to the new binary
formats (n32 and 64) introduced with IRIX 6.x, which uses other linkers
with other options, etc. etc.

Upgrade to gcc 2.8.1 or the latest stable egcs. If you want to compile gcc
2.8.1 yourself, please follow the compilation instructions that I made
(together with SGI's Ariel Faigon):

  http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/~erik/gcc/

I think you can use the same instructions to build egcs, but I never tried
it (gcc 2.8.1 works for me), YMMV. You do need the IRIX linker and
assembler for gcc 2.8.1, but you can get them for free from SGI (you don't
need the IDO CD). Details are on my instructions page.

If you don't want to compile gcc 2.8.1 yourself, there is a gcc 2.8.1
package available on Ariel Faigon's site. The package is in inst format
(.tardist) and installs in /usr/freeware:

  http://reality.sgi.com/ariel/freeware/#gcc

Note that the IRIX linker and assembler are not included in this package,
so you still have to get them from SGI.

Using gcc 2.8.1, I've succesfully build gtk-1.0.6 on an IRIX 6.3 system.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl