Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK Installation

David Nicholson wrote:

> Well, the INSTALL file says that the makefile is called 'make'
> and that after you have run ./configure it should be there.
> However, all I can see are makefiles that begin with a capital m.
> So prehaps the makefile has not been written.
>
> This is all very confusing.
>
> David

make is a separate program (if you have it, it's probably in
/usr/bin). What ./configure actually produces is a Makefile.

make uses Makefiles to compile programs -- when you run make,
it searches the directory you're currently in for a file called
Makefile, and uses the instructions in it to compile the program.

So, assuming ./configure works without any errors, you should
end up with a file called Makefile in the directory. Check to
make sure you do. If not, configure must have encountered an
error. Check the file config.log -- the last few lines of it
should tell you what the problem was.

If in fact ./configure worked, and you have a Makefile, just type
'make'. A few things might happen --
1. It works. Your computer will merrily compile away.
2. It works for a little while, but ends with some error.
3. The shell won't be able to find make, and you'll get an
error like :
	[jeff@corvus jeff] make
	bash: make: No such file or directory

If it's 2 or 3, there's a problem. Let me know how it works out.

Jeff