Re: [gtk-list] Re: window manager communication

//Well, I told Afterstep to make the app 'NoTitle, NoHandles,
//WindowListSkip, StaysOnTop, Sticky'.  So the main window is mapped with no
//decorations, which is what I want.  However, my subwindows which need
//decorations are simply set to a different wmclass with the
//gtk_window_set_wmclass (I think) function, so the window manager sees them
//as different from the main window, so it figures it should map decorations
//for them.  I haven't tried this outside of Afterstep yet, but I plan to
//test it with AS, windowmaker, Enlightenment, FVWM (orig, 2, 95).  I figure
//that the fvwms at least should work pretty much the same as Afterstep,
//since they share common code.  I haven't used Enlightenment very much,
//though, so I'm not sure how it will react to it.

You do realize that this will only work if the window manager configuration file of the user matches yours? I.e. it has to have the entry in it that makes your main window undecorated, _and_ it should not have an entry in it that makes your subwindows undecorated... This seems fairly windowmanager dependent to me (i.e. different window managers, different config files) and even user dependent (i.e. different users, different config files).

What you really want (it seems to me, but I may be wrong) is some way for your application to communicate to the windowmanager which decorations it requires on which windows. Unfortunately, different windowmanagers have different sets of decorations, so complete detailed control seems out of the question. Don't many (or maybe even all) windowmanagers follow the MWM hints? Or perhaps some new standard is called for? (A wise man once said (that is, I forget his name): The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.)

Regards,

johannes.
--
"The cat's been in the box for over 20 years.  Nobody's feeding it.  The
 cat is dead." -- Grant, on Schroedinger's Cat

<insert funny description here>