Re: [gtk-list] Re: window manager communication

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:

> On 19 Oct, Scott Stone scribbled:
> ->  On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 raster@redhat.com wrote:
> ->
> ->  > On 19 Oct, Scott Stone scribbled:
> ->  > ->
> ->  > ->  Is there anyway to explicitly have a gtk window created WITH a titlebar?
> ->  > ->  ie, i'm making an app whose main window should NOT have a titlebar, but
> ->  > ->  several of its subwindows SHOULD.  Is there any way to do this?
> ->  >
> ->  > no - there is no way of doing this. I have considered providing hintsin
> ->  > E to allow this but to date I havent' implimented anythign of the sort.
> ->  > whatever the solution it wont be window manager independant.
> ->
> ->  The hell you say! :)  I just figured out how to do it.  Admittedly, I
> ->  haven't tried this in all windowmanagers, and I may be doing something
> ->  different than what you're trying to do, but... If I use
> ->  gtk_window_set_wmclass and change the ID to something other than the app
> ->  name given to my window manager (Afterstep in this case) to exclude
> ->  decorations on, it puts the decorations there.  If I leave the wmclass
> ->  alone, it behaves as per my window manager settings.  So, problem solved
> ->  :)  Don't know if it helps you or not, though.
>
> hold on. the onyl way you can posiibly come clos eit mwm hints - but
> your solution here isnt WM indipendant. You arent guaranteed of
> anythign from the WM. Bascially what needs to be done is a negotiation
> of decorations - ie the app tries to map - wm intercepts is abotu to
> map - app has set property that it wishes to negotiate - wm sets
> property as to what level of decor its adding (thsi s a fuzzy one) -
> app sees porperty change, looks at it... um.... ok.. sounding bad
> already. the mem decor hints i personally dont believe are sufficient...

Well, I told Afterstep to make the app 'NoTitle, NoHandles,
WindowListSkip, StaysOnTop, Sticky'.  So the main window is mapped with no
decorations, which is what I want.  However, my subwindows which need
decorations are simply set to a different wmclass with the
gtk_window_set_wmclass (I think) function, so the window manager sees them
as different from the main window, so it figures it should map decorations
for them.  I haven't tried this outside of Afterstep yet, but I plan to
test it with AS, windowmaker, Enlightenment, FVWM (orig, 2, 95).  I figure
that the fvwms at least should work pretty much the same as Afterstep,
since they share common code.  I haven't used Enlightenment very much,
though, so I'm not sure how it will react to it.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@pht.com, sstone@turbolinux.com>
               <sstone@pht.co.jp>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)