Re: [gtk-list] Dumping core on SIGSEGV

On 10/16/98 beach@ataman.com uttered the following other thing:

> Why doesn't Gtk catch SIGSEGV instead of allowing a core dump?  This
> is making it difficult to use in development at times (e.g. no
> coredump files to work with means nothing to give to the debugger.)

You can recompile gdk/gtk and edit gdk/gdk.c, the line:
/* If you don't want to use gdk's signal handlers define this */
/* #define I_NEED_TO_ACTUALLY_DEBUG_MY_PROGRAMS 1 */

Perhaps it would be good to make this set in some other way than a
compile time option?  Either enable it with --debug or something.

I generally just run my application under gdb when I'm getting a
segfault, since gdb will grab the app when it happens and you can do a
backtrace, etc.

Brandon
--
 Brandon Long             "... a boy who gets a 'C-minus' in
 MD6 Crash Test Dummy     Appreciation of Televison can't be all bad."