menu accelerators

hi,
I'm new to the list, so forgive me if this has been asked before, I did a
search on the archive but couldn't find it.

simple problem:
I'm trying to create a menu (the hard way) with keyboard accelerators.

I had a look at the 2 examples in the gtk tutorial. One is called 'the
hard way' and one is called 'the easy way'. it shows you how to add
accelerators in the easy method, but not in the hard method, and it
doesn't seem to be transferable to the hard method. I want to use the hard
way, partly because it's 'the hard way' :-), and partly because I may want
to put pixmaps in the menu at some stage. I also want to use accelerators.
(I want it all goddamit!).

can anyone help me out here?

I tried messing around with
gtk_accelerator_table_new