Re: [gtk-list] Re: OFF-TOPIC (was Re: gtk-- vs. vdk)

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998 14:26:03 +0000, gtk-list@redhat.com (Ronan BOURLIER) wrote:
> IMHO, one of the problem with C++ is compilers.
> Some codes will compile without problem with egcs and not at all with
> g++. And I am not trying HP or SGI compilers.
>
> I personaly would prefer to develop with C++ rather than C,
> but till we get a norm in C++, it's hard to port applications.

I think you will be happy to know that C++ has been standardized earlier
this year by the ANSI/ISO C++ standardisation comittee.

AFAIK, g++ 2.8.1 and egcs are not completely up-to-date with the ANSI/ISO
C++ standard, but follow the latest public draft standard which is close
to the final standard. My guess is that the SGI MipsPRO 7.2 compiler
release is also compatible with the C++ draft standards.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2785859  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl