Re: GDK_WINDOW_TEMP

raster@redhat.com writes:

> On 11 Oct, Adam Kopacz scribbled:
> ->  Hi raster@redhat.com,
> ->
> ->  .
> ->  > gdk_window_set_decorations(widget->window, 0); to "hint" to the WM to
> ->  > not decorate the window - then just hope the WM understands this as
> ->  > more wm's are doing now since gnome uses it.
> ->
> ->  thanx but qiv should work with all WM.. thr temp stuff works with 90% or
> ->  so..
>
> ok - but you have a borken application then - _TEMP is for TEMPORARY
> windows it's called that for a reason. you are not using gtk properly.
> gtk alerayd uses WM hints to get handleboxes borderless - gtk alerady
> expects some level of behavior form the WM - you're simply ignoreing
> this fact by not using it...

I would have to say that I think if the desired effect is that the
image in viewed in "full-screen" mode, and disappears when a key or
mouse button is pressed, then GDK_WINDOW_TEMP (or gtk_window_new
(GTK_WINDOW_POPUP)) is exactly the right thing to do.

It _is_ temporary ;-) and, moreover, you don't want the window manager
to have anything to do with it.

You'll probably want to grab the keyboard and mouse while the window
is up. (gdk_keyboard_grab() and gdk_pointer_grab()) so that the user
can't (for instance) use WM keyboard shortcuts to raise other windows
above your window. Just make sure that the code to remove the window
works well, since user's will be slightly annoyed if the window gets
stuck there...

The GNOME screensaver capplet basically does the same thing to preview
screensavers in full screen mode.

Regards,
                                        Owen