Difference between development and stable version

Hello!
Sorry for stupid question but I didn't find answer in FAQ. What's the
deifference between stable and development version? What version should I
use. I have to install them both because gnome wants them both, but it
seems that not all programs that using gtk+ compiles now. I also wrote
gtk program
(ftp://lucifer.dorms.spbu.ru/pub/Linux/games/gtkballs-1.02.tar.gz) but
can't decide what gtk version use in future versions of my game. I'm
afraid that if I'll continue to use stable version then gnome users will
be unable to compile my program. But if I'll use development version then
people who are using stable version of gtk will be unable to compile my
program.
Maybe I just can't understand something?
John
P.S. Sorry for my poor English.

--
Eugene V. Morozov