one function takes the control

This is my problem:

I need one function that launch a dialog and only returns when this dialog
have been closed. The function is something like this:

void config_style (strStyle *style);

I mean, when the function returns the style structure must have the
fields properly filled. If I try whith this:

void config_style (strStyle *style)
{
	GtkWidget *dialog,...
	/* configure the dialog */
	/* put the buttons, lists, labels ,etc. */
	/* make the signal connections */
	return;
}

When the function returns the dialog will be alive and any modifications
made to de style structure by the signal handlers will be done at any
time and I need to have the security that any modifications will be done
to the structure.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Thanks 4 your help.

P.D.: Please forgive my bad english.