[gtk-list] Re: Help moving from Xt to Gtk

Ted Lemon writes:
> Jason A. Pfeil writes:
> > As you surmised, Gtk is nowhere nere Xt/Xaw and that's too bad
> > because this prevents almost pluggable conversion of Xaw programs to
> > Gtk.
>
> I learned to program X with the old Xt/Xaw stuff, and I have to say
> that I consider its absence a feature, not a bug.

I'm not interested in a discussion about the pros/cons of toolkits.
There is a whole lot of stuff that's in Xt that isn't (yet) in Gtk.
Some of that stuff is pretty complex -- hopefully Gtk will do it
better.  For example, the style concept in Gtk is an interesting
alternative to the resources in Xt.  On the other hand, Xt has really
good resource conversion features that allow almost unlimited
customization.  (A lot of widget sets manage to totally mess this up.)

> It was an interesting experiment, and by no means a failure, but I am
> quite impressed with the model that Gtk follows, and I think the
> difference is worth the porting cost.

And what model is that?  This is the core of my question.  I know the
Xt model really well.  How does Gtk map into that?  Does widget class
inheritance work like Xt?  Does Gtk have translations tables?  How are
styles inherited in new widget classes?  How are signals different from
Xt callbacks?  I suppose I can ask all these questions, but I hoped
that somebody would have a file called "gtk-internals-for-xt-hackers"
laying around. ;)

I've read the tutorial and cranked out a few simple programs.  Now I
want to dig under the hood.  I've started reading the code, but it'd
help to be able to map what I already know about Xt with Gtk.

- Ken

--
Ken Fox, kfox@ford.com, (313)59-44794
Ford Motor Company, Powertrain           | "Is this some sort of trick