Re: [gtk-list] Help moving from Xt to Gtk

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Ken Fox wrote:

> I know Xt and the Xt widget model really well.  I'm starting to learn
> Gtk (hopefully so that I can help out with widget coding, not just
> writing apps) and would like to map what I know about Xt into Gtk.  Are
> there any docs that can help me?  The FAQ is oddly silent about
> this -- seems like an obvious way to attract Xaw/Xm programmers to the
> project.  (Did I just volunteer for the job? ;)
>
> The one area I'd like to work on in Gtk is resource management.  From
> what I've read so far Gtk doesn't do any.  Would it be ok to adopt the
> standard X resource model to Gtk?  Are there others working on this
> right now?  It will probably require a few new standard signals, such
> as "resources_changed", and possibly other structural changes -- I'd
> hate to approach such a job lightly.
>
> Also, I'm wondering why Gtk isn't just a widget set built on Xt.  The
> e-mail archive search isn't working and Deja News didn't turn up anything.
> Is it a license issue?  Or is Xt just a poor choice for the toolkit that
> Gtk wants to become?

well, Gtk is easy to code for, whereas Xt is not.  Maybe that design goal
got in the way? :)  Programming stuff in C with gtk is akin to the
simplicity of programming stuff with perl-Tk - not nearly as difficult as
dealing with Xt directly, or, perhaps worse, Xaw. :)  just my 2 cents.
Admittedly, I haven't been working with GTK very long yet.