alignment question

I'm trying to create a window (actually just part of a window) with a column
of widgets (some buttons, some combos, some menus) and I want each to have a
label to it's left, but I want the labels to all be right justified, i.e.,
up against the button or combo.  If I put each label and button in an HBox,
I can't get all the buttons/combos the same width.  If I put all the labels
in one VBox and all the buttons etc in a second VBox I can get the right
vertical alignment, all the buttons to fill the width of their VBox and thus
all the same width, but the labels are all centered in their VBox.  Have I
missed some simple way to get all the labels right aligned?

Thanks for any pointers.

Jack
jack_h_ostroff@groton.pfizer.com