gtk java binding?

Hi,

    I'm new. I don't know whether anybody has asked such question before
or not. I checked the gtk home page, and it looks like gtk has no java
binding. GTK is becoming more and more powerful. With contribution of
Mozilla and Gnome, I believe GTK will soon reach a point that can be
satisfied by most parties. On the other hand, java is becoming more and
more fast. Kaffe's JIT is only 30% slower than C. GCJ and TOBA are
projects working on java to C translation.

    From my point of view, there must be many developers (I'm talking
about developers using GTK/Gnome), might feel more comfortable in Java. On
the other hand, Java is not ready for desktop so far due to lack of
supporting like GTK/Gnome and due to the performance.

    With java binding of GTK/Gnome, we can not only increase the
popularity of GTK/Gnome, but also can make java lovers write desktop
applications using features provided by GTK/Gnome.

    Since so far there's no such binding, there must be some difficulties
and problems? Could somebody give me some brief discussion about possible
problems? Maybe somebody is working on it?

    Thanks a lot.

    Haibing Ma

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is
not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily
angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but
rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes,
always perseveres."

Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
Campus Box 425
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0425
e-mail:mah@Colorado.EDU