text-entry retrieval

the gtk_entry widget gives me a headache.

I have a huge lot of variables that I have in a number of entry fields.
there is no need for a buffer, i.e. whenever the user changes what is
written in the fields, the variables should change, too.

it seems that setting the entry does create a copy, because changing the
entry doesn't change the variable.
I have experimented with a general callback that gets the variable which
belongs to the textfield passed as the data structure, but that won't work
either. creating individual callbacks for each and every entry is not an
option.

how do I go about this? there must be a simple way to do it, I hope. but I
couldn't find anything in the tutorial or faq.

--
why I prefer Linux:
tom@lemuria> uptime