Menu item selection

Hi all

Is there some developer out there who knows something about gtk menus who
can answer the following question:
What is the sequence of events that occur when a user clicks on a menu

I'm trying to duplicate these events by using the keyboard, i.e. so that a
user might get the same effect by e.g. pressing <Alt>F, O as by clicking
on the File menu, then on the Open menu item. I don't want to create a
global shortcut for the 'open file' action, which clutters up the keyboard
'action-space' needlessly.

Before anyone suggests it, just emitting the "activate" signal for the
menu item does not do the trick.

Hoping someone can help!

| Conrad Steenberg                        |
| Caltech, Mail Code 220-47               |
| Pasadena, CA, 91125                     |
| e-mail:          |
| Tel: (626) 395-2964 Fax: (626) 449-8676 |