Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK - aesthetics ???

On 4 Nov 1998, Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Hmm, I don't want to say that I'm displeased with the way Gtk+ looks
> now, and neither do I know what themes really allow to be changed.  But.
>
> The things that Gtk+ draws are quite pretty to my eye, but I sometimes
> have the feeling that the spacing between things is slightly wrong.
> Buttons are placed unevenly and borders around things aren't balanced.
> Nothing dramatic, and I can't point to a specific case right now.

I too have noticed this, and while I am overall very happy with gtk, I think
the gui could be polished up a bit more, and I think some of this polishing
can't be done with themes (though they look great). I think my two biggest
complaints are:

-Everything is too big, especially buttons.  (this is really true of gnome
        overall too)

-The file selection is _ugly_.  I keep saying that I want to grab the latest
        cvs and hack it up, but have not yet done so, who knows, maybe I will
        someday.

> But that's just cosmetics, and the underlying machine is more
> important.  And that machine rocks.

yeah, definitely.

-chris

Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf
Find my PGP PublicKey - http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf/CDR.asc