Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK - aesthetics ???

raster@redhat.com writes:

> ->    Please tell me there are plans afoot to change things.
>
> 2 words:
>
> gtk themes

Hmm, I don't want to say that I'm displeased with the way Gtk+ looks
now, and neither do I know what themes really allow to be changed.  But.

The things that Gtk+ draws are quite pretty to my eye, but I sometimes
have the feeling that the spacing between things is slightly wrong.
Buttons are placed unevenly and borders around things aren't balanced.
Nothing dramatic, and I can't point to a specific case right now.

So, I don't think that Gtk+ looks totally wrong and that we need the
full power of themes to make it look cool, but just that any theme
(including the default one) needs to be carefully designed.  Move a
label one pixel down, that sort of thing, on a microscopic level.  I
think that's what makes a GUI look professional.  It just looks right
but you can't say why.

But that's just cosmetics, and the underlying machine is more
important.  And that machine rocks.