Trouble: GTK + Octave + PThreads

[ Crossposting to gtk-list and help-octave]

I am developing a GUI for Octave using GTK.  As it has to be launched
from the Octave prompt, I avoid the "two main loops problem" (Octave's
readline amd gkt_main) by using POSIX threads.  So the user can access
internal Octave data either from the GUI and from the prompt.

My threaded GUI runs okay as a stand-alone program, but I run into
trouble when I try to generate a dynamically loadable Octave function
(.oct) using mkoctfile.  I am getting some random "x io errors" (Gdk
error), mainly when gtk_exit is called or when I exit from the Octave
session.  I suspect that the problem is related with the loading of
shared libs.  Did anyone face a similar problem in the past?

I am using GTK+ 1.1.2 (with appropriate gdk_threads_* calls), XFree86
3.3.2.3a (thread safe), Octave 2.0.13 (recompiled with -D_REENTRANT),
and LinuxThreads, as included in the GNU lic 2.0 (aka libc6).  I can
send a minimal example to the nice soul willing to help me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

--
Rafael Laboissiere