enabling/disabling text entry widgets

I apologize in advance if this is documented somewhere, but I have the
following question: I have a few edit text fields which I would like
enable and disable (greyed out) based on other entries. I have only
found a call which sets the text to be uneditable
(gtk_entry_set_editable), but does not really disable the widget. I find
this uneditable behaviour strange since it still lets the user make
selections in the widget. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Eric