Re: [gtk-list] Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Proposed widget

KC5TJA <kc5tja@topaz.axisinternet.com> writes:

> Also, it is my belief that bigger companies, who write for Windows and
> similar OSes, have come to rely on the MMU too much.  Namely, they get
> lazy, and expect the MMU to "save the day" if something goes awry.
> Non-MMU based systems don't have this luxury, so if your company wants to
> make money selling software, it had better damn well NOT touch other
> people's memory!  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out which
> app causes a problem when run in conjunction with another.  I prefer not
> using an MMU for just this reason -- it FORCES the developer to produce

To me, your arguments are the equivalent of saying "take the seatbelts
out of the car because they encourage people to drive unsafely".

With respect to MMUs making programmers lazy, that's what libraries
like electric fence, dmalloc, etc are for.  Debug during development,
but have the safety mechanisms on for the user.

I *don't* trust *anyone* else enough to run their programs on my
system without memory protection if have a choice.  Why should I?

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>