Re: [gtk-list] Re: Proposed widget

> However, for a 10M file, forget 33.6, assume 56k.  Such modems are
> *cheap* now, (ie, <$100 each).  10M = 10,000K.  10,000 / 56 = 178
> minutes.  That's ~3 hours, which I agree is not an interactive
> download, but it *is* easily an overnight download.

Modems may be cheap.  It's the telephone lines you have to watch for.  The
reason AxisInternet does not support 56K of any type for its non-dedicated
dial-ups is due to the horrid phone line quality.  It is a rare day in
hell when someone can actually connect at 33.6kbps, much less 56K.
However, a dedicated line is different, since we have some control over
line quality at that point.  But if you're going through that kind of
expense, it almost makes more sense to go ISDN... :D

> Follow that?  (*laugh*) Their simulations eventually amount to C code
> which is compiled, then run, on a large pile of regression tests,
> (perhaps 5000 tests at ~1hr run time each).  The actual, human
> generated, source might be less than 2M, produced by ~100 humans
> currently employed in this process.  And given current configurations,
> might take as much as 15 hours to run them all.  (*laugh* Yes.
> parallel execution.  *sigh*).

Damned simulators...somebody ought to teach them a lesson... ;-)

> But then, I'm not sure how to make that division just yet.  Good thing
> I'm not a gtk maintainer, huh?  :-).

Somebody will find a way; that's garunteed.

> How much effort?  Not much, I'd guess.  The real work here would be in
> deciding where the break point should be and then optimizing code to
> exploit the break point.

I should try writing my own widget, just to say that I did it.  Hell,
everybody ELSE on this list wrote one! :D  I wonder what mine would do
though...:D

Anybody familiar with NoWEB or CWEB?  What are your impressions of this
'literate programming' package?

      KC5TJA/6     |                  -| TEAM DOLPHIN |-
        DM13       |                  Samuel A. Falvo II
    QRP-L #1447    |          http://www.dolphin.openprojects.net