GtkTree question

 hello all,

   sorry if my question is too dumb, but i really can't find a way to make a
 tree collapse or expand before it's shown... i'm using
 gtk_tree_item_collapse() or gtk_tree_item_expand() but none of these work
 (for me). could someone please tell me an order or idea how to accomplish
 that?
   also, it was a quite a pain to set up the tree as the only help in
 testgtk source uses recursive function to build it which is rather hard
 to decode and in my opinion a bit unusable for learning. GTK is really
 missing docs :( all GTK programmers could stop writing their programs and
 write docs for GTK as it'd be much easier for programmers to use it :)

	thank u very much,
			fuf

 BillGates [bgates@www.microsoft.com] has joined #LINUX
 mode/#linux [+b BillGates!*@*] by DoDad
 BillGates was kicked off #linux by DoDad (banned: We see enough of Bill
          Gates already.)