Re: [gtk-list] Re: Proposed widget

<nuke@bayside.net> writes:
> the problem is that even shared libs can be overkill. sure, try telling
> "Gtk+ should have as much widgets as posible" to the guy with the 486 and
> 8mb of ram. no, we are not microsoft. our solution isn't "BUY NEW
> HARDWARE!"

Shared libs are not (I think) loaded fully to mem, only those parts which are
needed.

> just think.. how long has gtk existed as its own toolkit (not a part of
> gimp)? less than a year? and already your binary is a meg. what about next
> year after we put every single widget ever announced in it?

The problem is - if something is not put into gtk, everyone will reinvent it
quite many times and we'll have applications which does not have standard
look. (though maybe it could be different library like "libgtkwidgets.so").

Once something is made well enough, it must go into libraries that are
reused, so that it will be reused in applications. This reuse will eventually
lead to *smaller* system instead of larger system.

> knowing that
> gtk development is going to skyrocket this year because of 1.0 (and due to
> so many students being off for the summer), there are going to be LOTS of
> widgets. do you want a 5mb binary?

on solaris its already like 6 Megs :) (with debugging on of course..)

(though I suspect the machine I compile things on is somewhat broken -
a plain old hello world linked with *shared* library becomes 2Megs
executable in it.. must be something wrong with it - strings-command
reveal it lists every symbol from the shared library, while only few
of them are ever used in the program... I dont think it should do
that... )

--
-- Tero Pulkkinen -- terop@modeemi.cs.tut.fi --