SubstructureRedirectMask....

I am playing with the idea of writing a window manager using GTK.

GDK seems to have no concept of SubstructureRedirectMask or e.g.
 XMapRequestEvent.

I seem to be doing something that the designers of GDK/GTK did not provide for -
 or did they ?

What are these extension events ?

Is there a way to pass an XEventMask through gtk/gdk onto a window and not have
it erased the next time you add/remove a GdkEventMask ?

If not has anyone any suggestions ?

If I set the mask with XSelectInput and then use gdk_window_add_filter I can
trap the [Gdk]XEvents in which I am interested but I am worried that future
uses of gtk-signal-connect will erase the fact that I am interested in
SubstructureRedirectMask.

Thanks for your time,

Jules