Re: [gtk-list] Re: Crashing X

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Shevek wrote:

> Well the first time, I switche straight back, but the next time, I waited
> several seconds on the VT, and checked that the proces had terminated
> properly and cleaned up after itself. But as _soon_ as I switch back to
> graphics, it goes down, it dosen't even do a screen redraw first. I was in
> a GTK menu, or had one open at one point when I did this, and so the
> keyboard and mouse were not functioning in normal windows anyhow as GTK
> menus are modal (ruddy nuisance but they are) sometimes I wish people
> would write TK menus that aren't modal, or at least had the option not to
> be, cos you can't cross reference menu entries with, say, an xterm, or
> kill the program if a menu crashes.

what is actually happening is that the xserver crashes when you:
-	run an application that does an XGrabPointer
-	switch vt
-	kill the application with holding the pointer grab
-	switch back to the x-server.

as a workaround you can
-	run an application that does an XGrabPointer
-       switch vt
-       sleep 5; kill -9 application
-       switch back to the x-server.
-	wait 4 secs and the application gets killed without the
	xserver crashing.

this happens with
XFree86 Version 3.3 / X Window System

i've not reported this bug, and dunno owhether it's fixed with newer
verions.

> --
> S.
> GM/CS/MU -d+ H+>++ s+: !g p2 au0 !a w+++ v-(---) C++++$ UL++++$ UB+
> 5++ !j !R G' !tv b+++ D++ B--- e+ u+* h++ f? r-- n---- y?

---
ciaoTJ