Re: [gtk-list] Re: GNUing question

On Fri, 1 May 1998, Damon Chaplin wrote:

> >After visiting the GNU homepage, the directions on how to GNU a piece of
> >software is relatively straightforward, except for one thing.  Basically,
> >it says I need to copyright the software first.  My question is, to what
> >extent do I copyright my software?  Do I go through the process of
> >paying a gov't agency and "officially" copyrighting it or do I
> >just slap a "(C)1998 David Finton" somewhere, plant the public licenses
> >where needed, and hope for the best?  (I live in the state of Minnesota,
> >if that helps).
>

> The best thing to do is to pinch the copyright stuff from an existing GNU
> program.
> Look at the COPYING file, usually found in the program's root directory.
> Just adding (C) 1998 .... is enough, as far as I know.
> (I think the gov't agency stuff is for patents rather than copyrighting, but

the three-char (C) has no legal value. a graphic representation of that
symbol does, but if you're using text, it must say "Copyright", "Copr.",
or something similar.
|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |