[Fwd: [gtk-list] Re: continue execution while updating a progress bar? (now thoughts on an Xinstall)]

Roger Books wrote:

> > > How about forking make then opening a pipe to it so you could read
> > > it's progress while updating the scrollbar in your program?  I am
> > > not very familiar with forking and piping in C so correct me if I
> > > this is not possible.
> >
> > unforunately, neither am i. this is more complicated than what i'm trying
> > to get at.

I am writing a program which has similar requirements -- the need to update a
progress bar while other activities are still going on. In my case, the
application is testing the performance of a web server, feeding the web server
transactions from a log file. The progress bar measures the progress through
the log file.

To do this I use threads and a package I threw together to make threads and
GTK safely work together. If you are interested in more info, check out:

http://www.humanfactor.com/gpk

This is the homepage of the General Proxy Kit -- maybe it will help. An
example application is included to demostrate its use.

$cott