Re: [gtk-list] Re: Problems with GTK+ .99.8 and Imlib 1.1

//Derek Simkowiak wrote:
//
//>     Hello,
//>         First, a quick note before I forget: doing a "make install" with
//> GTK+ .99.8 did not copy the file glibconfig.h into /usr/local/include/, I
//> had to do it myself.  I just thought that was weird.
//
//I discovered the same thing... however, I discovered that glibconfig.h was
//copied, but copied into the wrong place.  It got installed into a directory
//under '/usr/local/lib'.  I wish I could remember the exact directory, but I
//bet you could find it yourself by looking in /usr/local/lib.

It gets installed in /usr/local/glib/include/glibconfig.h. However, this is not the _wrong_ place... It gets installed there on purpose. glibconfig.h is actually machine dependent, so this way of installing things allows people who maintain multiple machines to share at least most of their gtk include files. (Isn't that right, gurus?) The correct way to get all the compile flags on the gcc commandline is to use gtk-config, which was also installed by gtk. (In /usr/local/bin, if you didn't specify a --prefix to configure.) You would say something like 'gcc `gtk-config --cflags` -c myprog.c -o myprog.o' (Note the backticks, not normal quotes around `gtk-config --cflags`.) To link you'd do 'gcc `gtk-config --libs` myprog.o -o myprog'.

Shouldn't these questions be answered in the FAQ, anyone?

Regards,

Johannes.
--
vivivi - The editor of the Beast

Gathering Magician in a Magic-less world?