Re: [gtk-list] Re: gtk+-0.99.8 config problems

Moses DeJong <dejong@cs.umn.edu> writes:
> I ran into this same problem yesterday. I was installing gtk and gimp in
> a non default directory and this error message showed up in the gimp
> configure script. I fixed the problem by making sure the gtk-config
> exe was in my PATH and that my LD_LIBRARY_PATH included gtk/lib.
> You might want to try ldd on the conftest file to see which gtk
> .so file it is linking to.

> I think a good way to fix this problem is to change the gimp configure
> script so that it checks for the gtk-install in the PATH dirs and
> makes sure the version of the gtk lib that is linked is the same as
> the one given in the gtk-config.

It already does that.  Look at the output of `gtk-config --libs'.

> The script should also search the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the libs if not
> found. Does anyone have the time shell programming know how to do
> this?

???

The program that deals with LD_LIBRARY_PATH is `ld.so', which is anyway
used when configure execute the `conftest' program.

Anyway, it is generally not feasible nor always a good idea for
`configure' to try to fix things itself.  Temporarily modifying your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a OK for you to do, not for `configure' -- since it
is not general enough, nor is it alway right.

It is better for you to set these shell vars. -- they are useful in
other contexts too, esp. in reducing the number of -I & -L arguments you
give to your compiler.

	LIBRARY_PATH		Adds to search path of ld (GNU only?)

	C_INCLUDE_PATH		Adds to search path of GCC
	CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH	-----------"---------- G++
	OBJC_INCLUDE_PATH	-----------"---------- GNU ObjC

	LD_LIBRARY_PATH		Adds to search path of ld.so
	SHLIB_PATH		Equivalent on HP-UX

- Hari