configure problem - unable to determine host.

I also have been getting a configure problem.  I am using
GTK+-0.99.8.tar.gz

Can't even get the configure script to run properly so I haven't even
got to the make yet.

Running ./configure results in it guessing a whole lot of parameters
but not the host type.  When it gets to the host type configureation
message being displayed on the screen it aborts out.  I've tried
putting it in manually using the --host= parameter and I have tried
Linux but nothing I can think of works.  I am using RedHat Version 4.1
on a 486DX2-66 with 16Mb of Ram.

Anyone else had this problem??