Re: gtk+ and HPUX

Sebastien Carpe <scarpe@atos-group.com> writes:

> I've compiled the latest (i hope so at least) gtk+ package (which is 0.99.7)
> and using it in the gimp, i'm just keeping going core dump.
> I post this here 'cuz i thing it is related to gtk and not the gimp,
> since the stack trace goes up in the X11 libs.
>
> Has anyone ever tested gtk+ on HPUX (V9.05, X11R5) from now on ??
>
> The crash comes from a call to XSetICValue or smthg (i can dig out the
> gimp backtrace, if anyone cares). This is really a pity for me, since
> i'm greatly interested in the gtk+ project, since i think it's the
> open door for user-friendly environment on Unix/Linux boxes (and i
> really don't love the other way too many people uses their PC :) )
>
> I, at least would like to know if it is some sort of bug in gtk
> (incompatibility across systems), or if it is just a bug in the X11R5
> installation from my system (downer in the backtrace, the XSetICxxx
> functions calls for XhpSetICxxx which just sounds to me like a
> propriatery implementation of X11 libs).

It has something to do with the way GTK handles the arguments
to XSetICValues. There are two possibilities:

- The code was making some impropoper assumptions about
  how va_args is implemented. This has been fixed since 0.99.7,
  so hopefully 0.99.8 will fix your problem.

- The code is using some (as far as I can see) undocumented
  features of XSetICValues. If this is the problem, it will
  take a some more substantial to fix up. Hopefully, that
  isn't the case.

When using X11R5, you may be best off using the --disable-xim
configuration option when configuring GTK, which will eliminate
the relevant portions of the code.

> P.S.: Why do people add [gtk-list] tag in the subject ???

There was some debate over the issue earlier, and the majority
consensus was to add it (it is done automatically by the list
software). The proponents were people who don't automatically
have their incoming mail sorted.

(I use Gnus, and that has a nice feature where it can be
 set up to remove such tags so I never see them any more)

Regards,
                                        Owen