Re: [gtk-list] Re: Documentation?

Glenn wrote:

> So.... When will there be better documentation for GTK+ 'cause I'm new
> also and I'm really having a hard time with some stuff. thanks

I've learned over the last 18 months or so, that most GNU projects are
only as well documented as they are complete.

As the docs in GTK say, this is a "work in progress", and due to the
instability of that truth, it's tough to create documents that are
accurate, relevant, and timely.

Heck, even in commercial software, the Documentation ALWAYS falls behind
the curve in availability.

What GNU software has going for it are these open discussion lists where
you can ask about what doesn't make sense as a "GNU-bie".

As for having a hard time understanding the docs available, or the code
itself, it's generally the tendancy of GNU programmers to whip-up lots
of excellent code, but due to the constraints of work-for-pay, the time
is limited.

Since there's no "boss" on GNU projects, who can bust your chops for not
adding 3 lines of comment for every line of code?  Nobody.

So, when *I* start reading the Code as Documention, *I* put every
thought I have into the sources.  (admittedly, I've only done this with
one package... (gnats), but the idea holds true everywhere.)

Beside the DOC folder and the info stuff, read ALL the README, NOTES,
NEWS, CHANGES, etc. files in EVERY directory on a package tree, and
you'll get LOTS of pointers that help tell you more than the DOC could.

It's work, but you become VERY good at understanding the project that
way.
--
   Jim Harmon                           The Telephone Connection
jim@telecnnct.com                          Rockville, Maryland