Re: [gtk-list] Proposed change to delete_event return value

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Raph Levien wrote:

> Hi gtk developers,
>
>    I propose to flip the value of the return value for delete_event
> signals. After this change, the default behavior with no signal handler
> will be to destroy the window.

Is this a return to the old way delete was handled way before GTK 0.99.x?

Before this change, the default behaviour (as far as I remember it) of
the application which had displayed the window was to crash, sometimes
in an apparently unrelated way :(

GIMP used to have lots of windows which relied on a "default" delete
handling, and lots of code which assumed that the windows were intact...
If the application doesn't bother to handle close we can assume that it
also won't bothered to handle the consequences of that close, and
therefore allowing the close is probably suicide.

[I didn't fix the close related bugs in GIMP, so I'm not best qualified
to say if they were specific to that application, but my guess is that
if it happened once it will happen again]

>    If anybody objects strenuously to this proposal, I will try to find
> all the existing windows that don't close properly and add the
> appropriate delete_event handler instead.

Sorry Raph, but this sounds like a much better idea to me, chances are
that you'll find at least one bug/ oddity while you're doing it.

Nick.