Re: [gtk-list] Re: GtkProgressBar && RE: updating a progress bar

On  5 Mar, Owen Taylor shouted:
->
->  raster@redhat.com writes:
->
->  > On  5 Mar, Tony Gale shouted:
->  > ->
->  > ->  On 05-Mar-98 Owen Taylor wrote:
->  > ->  > [ Maybe gtk_progress_bar_update should redraw itself instantly
->  > ->  > instead
->  > ->  >   of queuing a draw? ]
->  > ->
->  > ->  Eek. That rather breaks the model [of GTK and other widget sets].
->
->  I wouldn't say it breaks the model - even currently, some things
->  in GTK (e.g., Text widget), for one reason or another, redraw
->  themselves instantly, instead of in a queued redraw.
->
->  I wasn't suggesting that the main loop be processed, just that
->  the drawing for that one widget should be done on screen immediately.
->
->  GTK, in fact, used to do all drawing immediately onscreen - this was
->  changed largely so that when multiple changes were made at once
->  it wasn't constantly redrawing everything.
->
->  (There is a current problem, that now events have absolute priority
->  over redrawing, so if you keep GTK busy with events, redrawing
->  will never happen)
->
->  > No - gtk currently breaks logic by not updating somehting that shoudl
->  > be re-drawn when updated.
->  >
->  > If I - as a programmer am programming so I have a loop ant lest say
->  > scans a directory - and as I read I update the progress bar - I expect
->  > that progress bar to redraw and update when I update it - not 30 second
->  > slater do all the updates when I exit my function. GTK currently with
->  > this widget is defying logic. I believe Owen is right. This widget in
->  > particular needs to redraw when it is updated.
->
->  I'm not so sure I'm right. I was just suggesting it as a ease-of-use
->  thing for the ProgressBar - but the programmer will get better results
->  if they process pending events in the event queue periodically - for
->  instance, Expose events won't be handled otherwise.

well the redraw wil fix any exposes on that widget anyway - but i think
that the progrsss bar should update "instantly" if changed. calling the

while (gtk_events_pending())
         gtk_main_iteration();

to update the progressbar on ee has bad effects that it makes the
thumbnail containers update on each insertion.. whihc makes it
considerably slower.. :( I need to rewrite ee anyway... :)

->  Regards,
->                                          Owen
->

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
raster@rasterman.com       /\___ /\ ___/||\___ ____/|/\___  raster@redhat.com