Re: [gtk-list] Re: Objective-C binding

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Helge Hess wrote:

> It's entirely based on the Object class and the structure build up by
> this.  While obgtk may be up to date by means of gtk+ functionality I
> suppose very few people are using the Object class nowadays.
>
> With the NSObject root class several new principles of design and
> conventions of writing code were introduced. There is a rich library of
> Objective-C classes specified in the OpenStep specification. Of one part
> of this, the FoundationKit, exist good free implementations like
> gstep-base and libFoundation.

We do not want to require gnustep in order to use Gnome... Your last
paragraph sounds like it's full of marketing lingo. Object works fine - I
do not want another C++, I just want a simple OO framework. :-)

I'm not trying to discourage you from making GtkKit or whatever (and being
able to make GNUstep apps consistent with Gtk apps would be neat), but at
the same time it's not going to be practical for a lot of people - GNUstep
is a whole new can of worms ;-]

-- Elliot					http://www.redhat.com/
"The obvious mathematical breakthrough would be development of an easy way
to factor large prime numbers." -- Bill Gates from "The Road Ahead," p. 265.