RE: [gtk-list] Re: Data-bound widgets?

> What exactly are you looking for?  I'm beginning development of a GTK
> interface to a PostgreSQL server, but I am just using GTK as is.  Perhaps
> you could explain a little more in depth what you're looking to do?

I was thinking of something similar to Visual Basic's data-bound controls,
(I think Delphi has them as well.)

Basically all the programmer has to do is specify a data source (i.e. a
table/query in a database) and map widgets on a form to fields in the
records,
and the widgets handle all the reading/updating of the database themselves.

There is usually a navigation area as well, with buttons to move to the
first/previous/next/last record of the table. (In VB this is the main
control which coordinates database access.)

Possible widgets are data-bound GtkLabel, GtkEntry, GtkCheckButton, GtkList,
GtkCombo, and new grid & picture widgets. (Lists, Combos and grids may be
filled by another table/query in the database.)

If the widgets also export a good API, then this could scale to fairly
complex database apps - better than everyone having to write their own
database access routines.

Damon