Re: [gtk-list] Re: password in text entry widget

robert havoc pennington writes:

 > On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, matt wrote:
 > >
 > > I'm thinking i want something "more guder" than that.  I want something
 > > the user can understand
 > > nothing showing up isn't what the user expects.
 > >
 > > if there is a way to so this with visablity, then let me know.
 >
 > With visibility off you used to see nothing, but now it has stars. Gtk 1.0
 > may not though.

Apparently it's a bit controversial.  If a shoulder-surfer can see
stars, they can count the number of characters in your password.  That
eliminates a lot of passwords!  Still, I prefer to see them, and
that's how I programmed one of my own applications.

--
-russ <rn-sig@crynwr.com>  http://web.crynwr.com/~nelson